Are you planning to transform your basement into a gym? Or perhaps, you might even want to turn your basement into a home office.
Though these ideas are great, basements have a reputation of being damp, moldy, stinky, and high in moisture level.
However, there’s a solid solution that can help you do away with these issues for once and all – and that is rubber flooring.
Installing rubber surfacing on your basement floor will solve a huge chunk of these problems.
Here are important things you need to know about basement rubber flooring:
Why should you choose rubber flooring for basements?
Basement moisture is one of the most common issues people face. Plus, its damp and humid environment attracts molds, mildew, bacteria, fungi, and other organisms.
And many online studies suggest that mold and mildew can cause headaches, allergic reactions, and breathing issues. It is especially bad for people with asthmatic conditions.
Plus, 40% of the air that fills the first floor of your house comes from your basement. This makes it even more crucial to keep your basement clean and fresh.
And that’s where rubber flooring comes into the picture.
Installing rubber flooring on your basement floor helps you keep your basement moisture-free and dry. Naturally, you will also be breathing fresher air.
Here are the popular reasons why you should choose rubber flooring for basements:
To keep your basement moisture-free
Rubber flooring for basements is the ultimate choice as rubber floors can resist moisture better than other options available on the market. Even in case of water leaking from under the tile, the rubber will serve as a barrier and keep your property safe.
Plus, rubber floors will prevent slips and falls when the floor is wet due to its anti-slip properties.
To keep molds and mildews at bay
Molds can give you headaches, allergic reactions, and breathing problems. You can use rubber flooring to keep molds and mildews at bay by keeping your basement dry. Without moisture, molds and mildews will not thrive.
Because you get plenty of choices
When planning for your basement floor, you want plenty of choices so that you can choose the best option for your floor. Rubber flooring gives you plenty of options. From rubber floor mats to rubber tile and rubber floor rolls, you get to choose the best available option.
If you are planning to create a home gym, rubber mats can be an ideal option. You can lay them on any hard, flat surface for added cushioning. While thinner mats can be used for home workouts, if you are using professional sports facilities, you can go for a thicker rubber mat so that it can withstand high-impact activity and heavy foot traffic.
Rubber tiles are a popular choice for both residential and commercial areas. And if your basement area is large, you can opt for rubber rolls. They will give you a seamless floor, and at the same time, they are the most economical option.
For its versatility
Rubber flooring offers versatility. Whether you want to create a home basement gym, storage room, or just a cozy additional room, rubber flooring can serve many purposes.
Rubber floors are resilient, resistant to moisture, shock-absorbent, durable, easy to clean and maintain and give you a comfy ground for your feet to rest. It can also keep the room warm in winter.
For its aesthetic appeal
Basements are usually dark, cold, and creepy areas. Not to mention the musty smell that you get when you enter them. Rubber flooring can not only solve the problem of keeping your basement moisture-free and air clean, but it can also enhance its aesthetic appeal.
Modern rubber floors come in a multitude of colors, designs, patterns, and textures. Some manufacturers even create custom color mixtures. It will definitely give your basement a facelift.
For its ease of installation and easy maintenance
Rubber flooring is one of the easiest to install on almost any subfloor type. Depending on the state of the basement surface, area shape, and so on, rubber flooring installation will take only two to three days.
You can take the help of a rubber surfacing expert, discuss your requirements, and just wait and relax. Owing to its durability and sturdiness, you can expect the flooring to last for many years.
All things considered, rubber flooring installation is an excellent investment.
And once the flooring is installed, it is easy to maintain. It is easy to clean, water-proof, and can withstand high volumes of traffic and high impact.
Things to consider while choosing basement floor surfaces
Here’s a checklist you can refer to while choosing your basement floor surfaces:
- Durability: Your basement floor surfaces should be durable. Whether you are turning your basement into a gym, storage, or a kid’s playroom, it is going to have a high volume of foot traffic. Plus, you will be placing furniture or equipment. Since the rubber surface is able to withstand the heavyweight, it makes it a great choice.
- Ease of maintenance: You don’t want basement flooring that needs special cleansing chemicals or tools to clean. You can clean rubber floors easily just by using the items you already have. A vacuum cleaner, soap, and mop are enough.
- Easy installation: You don’t want to wait for weeks for the installation to be complete. You can choose rubber mats or rolls that are easy to install.
- Consider your requirements: This one is crucial as it will determine whether you will install thin or thick rubber flooring. Consider whether the flooring needs to meet any specific standards such as traction, stability, slip resistance, shock and sound absorption, and so on.
- The size and shape of your flooring area: You need to measure the size and shape of your floor area so that there will be no excess or shortage. A flooring installation expert can help you in this process.
- Project budget: Rubber flooring is affordable. However, you need to talk to an expert and share your requirements to make an estimate of the project.
Basements can be converted into an attractive, functional, and health-friendly space, provided you know how to remodel it. Installing rubber flooring is a great idea if you are aiming for a home gym, kid’s playroom, storage space, or workroom.
Also, make sure that you lay out a good plan that will be able to guide your installation process before getting started.